Saturday, January 8, 2011

Hydrologic cycle & three more eggs

Sunset Jan 2011.
We visited the Pacific Ocean for five, mostly-sunny days. Every day we walked on the beach, a little further each day. On our last full day there we walked seven miles on the beach, in bare feet. The water was cold and the sand was cold, but there was enough sun to keep us warm, so long as we kept moving. Many days of rain preceded our visit, and some areas to the north and the south of where we stayed were experiencing landslides and broken sewage pipes leaking into the ocean. I wanted to visit Moonstone Beach State Park near Cambria, but that beach was considered too toxic from a sewage leak and other toxins in the water system, and was closed. Knowing that our water will make its way to a creek, river, lake, or ocean, should  keep us keenly aware of what we put into it as "waste." In April of 2010 Time magazine did a piece about various pharmaceuticals making their way into water supplies. The hydrologic cycle is a local and global concern. It sure is beautiful to look at too.

Three eggs, in the carton now, with the pointy end down.
When we returned I found three more eggs deposited in the chicken coop. They were on the floor in a corner, not in the nest boxes, so I've put two fake eggs into a nest box to help encourage the chickens to lay in there. I'm not sure if the chickens will get it, since the eggs are purple and green. They are musical shaker eggs but they were the only "fake" egg-shaped thing we had around just now.

After consulting a chicken book I weighed the eggs and found that they weigh 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 ounces each. The formula for figuring out their weight is to multiply the weight of one egg by twelve to get the carton weight. These eggs rate as "peewee" sized eggs. The book also says the eggs should get a bit larger in the coming weeks, so I'll weigh future eggs to check on that assumption. Every chicken book I consulted said that chickens would not lay with less than 14 hours of daylight (which is one reason why many people put lights in their chicken coops). I have no artificial light in the coop, so I'm still not sure what the scoop is with that idea. We are only getting about 9 hours 45 minutes.

2 comments:

Nancy Leek said...

Congratulations on the eggs! I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your chickens. I like hearing your rooster crow, by the way.

We didn't get any eggs from our hens last winter, so this year Jim put a light out in their henhouse. It's on a timer, and goes on 5:00-7:00 a.m. and p.m. The two hens that we have left have been giving us 1 or 2 nice brown eggs every day.

Come spring I'll get 3 or 4 more pullets, but for now the two we have are happy and doing well, in spite of the cold and the damp.

Carla said...

Hi Nancy,
I am thinking I'd like three more females to add to the flock and will get them in the spring too. They are so useful for eating grass and bugs. I feed them walnuts too. I love hearing the rooster. It is a sound much more pleasant than incessant dog barks. I'm so glad his song doesn't bother you! I watched the rooster one cold morning, and of course I was just shocked that I could see his breath as he crowed! But why wouldn't his breath show? It was just hilarious to see. Best, Carla