Friday, October 31, 2008

Swale Progress

When it rains heavily some water pools at the corner of the driveway where it meets the county road. My hope is to aleviate that pooling and direct the water into the soil.

This is just a small, beginning section of the swale and berm.
It isn't really a swale since it isn't on contour. The place is pretty flat.
It is a basin that will deal with some run-off issues from the road and a berm.
I took out some of the lawn, shaped the soil to direct water to an infiltration basin, planted shrubs (pineapple guava), perennials (malva moschata, lavandula), and a ginkgo tree to help distribute the water. I also planted seeds of fava beans, daikon radish, salvia superba, salvia verbenaceae, borage, and other random seeds I came across in the garden.

I mulched with pine needles I swept off the roof when I cleaned the gutters.

No comments: