Friday, October 3, 2008

First Rain! & Fermented Food

Today our first rain of the fall started. I checked the downspout where I have created a slope and basin in order to direct the downspout water to a nearby apple tree. The system was working as I intended. The water is directed away from the house, across the path and into a basin around an heirloom apple tree. The basin has various other plants that are part of the apple guild - yarrow, comfrey, daffodils, clover, etc. Also near the basin is a blueberry bush, heavily mulched with pine needles.
Now I'll have to get that swale in the front yard started.

---

Today I decided to taste the fermented summer squash I made at the end of August. I had grated up some Trombetta squashes and packed them into mason jars, sprinkling with salt as I packed. Then I topped the jars with water and away they went! Now, just over a month later the squash tastes tangy and salty and sour! So delicious, and I've been craving pickles and salty stuff for a few months. Now I'll get the satisfaction of eating my own creation.

No comments: