Friday, March 25, 2011

Rainy weather and planting blueberries

The weather took a turn toward cold, wet storms, with plenty of wind. It has been going on like this for weeks. The sun is a distant memory. On days when we've had a break in the downpours and howling wind, I've been able to get a little gardening done. I've been doing some weeding, mulching, observing the progress of various plants - red currants, gooseberries, black currants, raspberries, honeyberry - all of which are doing great in this type of weather. The blueberry plants are pushing out new growth, and in a moment of splurging I ordered eight more blueberry plants, which I managed to get into the ground and mulched with pine needles.  I'm not exactly sure how many blueberry plants I had already planted before these eight, but it could be a dozen. I've been working on building up my shrub layer, and the blueberries seemed a good shrub to increase in number. The berries are delicious and I have a good source of pine needles to use for a nice acidic mulch. The plants are also attractive once they get a little mass to them.

The cold and wet weather is  likely to continue for several more days, longer perhaps, so it is a good time to plant such things.

Blueberry plant with pine needle mulch.

2 comments:

Pete said...

I live in Grass Valley and the local Garden store (Peaceful Valley) has a sale on blueberries (multiple varieties) in 1 gallon pots, I believe, for $7.99 (buy three get one free as well). I was thinking of buying about $100 worth or so and try in an area that's damp due to a spring. But its July and the weather has been super warm but looks like its going to cool off a bit. Ive looked into Sepp Holzers work on planting in the off season and he has a shock method that sounds interesting just wondering if you might have any ideas.

Carla said...

Hi Pete,
I have my blueberries in part shade. Temperatures get so hot here in the valley that I put my plants where they only get morning and some afternoon sun but aren't roasting all day. They also grow mixed in with other plants which helps to keep them shaded. If you can offer the plants some shade, and keep them well watered it could be worth trying to plant them in this weather. Make sure you give them a good, deep mulch to keep the roots protected from the heat.