Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Patio 2010

After hacking out some more ivy and wheelbarrowing-in some more decomposed granite, there's a nice, big patio with planting beds that will get morning and late, afternoon sun, but mostly shade throughout the day.
I've sown the bare soil with daikon seeds, and other various cover-crop seeds (they're growing now but that isn't shown in this photo). I transplanted a few strawberry plants there and a lovely red chard plant too.

We got a lovely north wind today, then some rain tonight. I was hoping for a little more rain before the dry season sets in, if only to delay the need for irrigating from well water.

I envision currants and perhaps edible honeysuckle in these beds, also alpine strawberries, which take some shade, and even more blueberries (I can't get enough!).





No comments: