Saturday, December 5, 2009

Salad season

In late September the weather was so nice and warm I thought summer would never quit. Still, I planted some seeds for the winter garden. Lettuce mainly, and snow peas. I have lots of chard and collards growing here and there already, but those leaves need to be cooked. The late fall and winter weather is the a great time for salad leaves. I forage for tender dandelion leaves, picking only the smallest and most tender (in winter the leaves are not bitter). I pick arugula and lettuces that I've planted in various spots, and pull up a daikon radish and a scallion for good measure. This year I planted red romaine lettuce for a change (I've planted various green lettuces too). The red romaine was brilliant in the sun this morning and could be part of a delicious salad this evening.

No comments: