Thursday, October 8, 2009

Early Autumn in the garden

Maize plants with drying ears.


Some of the husk peeled away to reveal the red kernels of the maize.

Freshly painted chicken house. A second coat of paint will be applied, probably a reddish color, before the rains start. I bought the paint at the paint store, they were contractor returns and were very inexpensive compared with buying regular paint, thus the multiple colors. The door was found at the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store.
Looks like it used to belong on a hot water heater closet.
The house still needs windows and hinged tops for the nesting boxes. A fence, too, needs to be erected. Estimated time to get chicks is spring 2010.

2 comments:

That Bread Lady said...

I love reading your blog. Have you raised chickens before? I'm considering getting some myself. Had chickens many, many years ago and miss the fresh eggs. I'll be watching for your pics of chicks! :o)

Carla said...

I have not raised chickens before, but I've seen they way some other people have done it. I'm looking forward to having the chickens as they'll add another dimension to the place. Building soil, breaking pest cycles, eating bugs & weeds, and then, eventually producing eggs. I have a couple of good books on chickens. Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens is spoosed to be a good one.
I'm sure there will be many pictures!