Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Bean trellis, squash, alliums

Pole beans are finally heading up the strings and the squash beneath has taken off and provided us with some delicious, young summer squash. The squash is taking over the scattering of alliums that grew there from seed I sprinkled from leeks that went to seed last year. At least, I think they are from leeks. Some of the plants I pulled from there had garlic-like bulbs, so perhaps some crossing has occurred. At this point I am more into abundance than purity of type, so I'll keep growing these out and maybe I'll find something interesting. Last year some of the volunteer squash produced some flavorful flesh. The squash in the photo is a volunteer that seems to have butternut parentage (I grew a lot of butternut squash last year).
The young ones were of two colors, a dark and a ligther skin. The flesh was very pale yellow, like young butternuts.
The pole beans are a dry bean variety. They are grown for the dry seeds rather than the green pods, though one can eat the young pods. The beans have mottled pods with reddish coloring. I believe they are called Bird Egg pole beans. I got the seeds from someone who got them from the National Plant Germplasm System.
A grape vine and a pomegranate are beyond the beans.

No comments: