Friday, April 24, 2009

A guild of sorts

This selection of plants happened to come together in a rather unplanned way. Leeks, chard, borage, fig, parsley, clover, and alpine strawberries. I also grew daikon and fava beans as cover crops. I feel like something is missing from this guild, but I am not sure what it is. This area is located near the oaks and the plants benefit from the oak leaves. I usually don't dig the leeks when I harvest them, rather I cut the below the soil line and they do grow back from the roots. Borage is a mineral accumulator and bees love the blossoms, which are edible, as are the leaves. I think maybe it needs nasturtium or perhaps a melon for the summer. Something to cover the ground after the daikon, fava, and borage are cut. I don't want too much clover since it is known to attract gophers (they also love fig roots and alium roots too).
I loved looking at this planting progress through the fall and winter
Here is a photo of the same spot in November 2008. Note the droopy chard plant, fungi, very small borage plants, lots of blossoms on the alpine strawberries.

3 comments:

Anthony Peyton Porter said...

Oak leaves are good, huh? What about walnut leaves? I've heard they're not good for other plants.

Carla said...

Walnut leaves, I too have heard, are not good for other plants. The walnut tree parts exude a substance called juglone to which many plants seem to be allergic. Apple trees will die if planted too close to a walnut, for example. Here's a url for a website with more info about the effects of jugole, and plants that might tolerate it.

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/nursery/430-021/430-021.html

Oak trees do not have such sadistic qualities. The leaves just take a while to turn into microbe poop (which is what we want out there with the other plants).

Anthony Peyton Porter said...

Thank you, permaculture queen.