Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Cotton Roving


This is green cotton lint that I've cleaned of seeds and other unwanted plant debris, and then gently formed into roving - or long skinny sections ready to spin. I did not card this cotton, but that can be done, I simply worked the lint into the roving. I'm going to spin the cotton with a drop spindle. I think this will not make very much cotton yarn, but I will plant more seeds next year and so on until I have enough cotton yarn with which to make something useful.

I've been practicing knitting (with purchased wool) and crocheting (with purchased cotton yarn). I made a scarf out of blue wool, and a dish cloth out of ecru cotton. I'm working on a larger piece with ecru & cream-colored cotton, that is supposed to be a wrap or something.

No comments: